Is knife crime getting worse?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wolf
Admin

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Is knife crime getting worse?   Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:53 am

Is knife crime really getting worse in the UK? Or is it just that the media is covering and sensationalising it more? Knife crime has been around for centuries, but is it suddenly getting worse now? If so, why? What can we do about it?

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Is knife crime getting worse?   Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:08 am

Nope, it's not...did some research on the figures and the only difference these days is the victims are younger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Is knife crime getting worse?   Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:02 am

Almost all crime figures show that all crime overall is dropping. But the media shock value and hype has increased recently.

Knife crime has been around ever since Iron Age Britain. Ever since knives were invented, people have been stabbing each other with them. It was happening in Roman times, it happened in Elizabethan times and it’s happening today. The only thing that’s really increased is the number of newspaper headlines covering the issue. It’s known in social sciences as “moral panic” which means that despite the real state of affairs, the media coverage and peoples’ fear regarding the issue causes it to appear much worse than it actually is. This is exactly what happened in the 50s and 60s over the fights between the mods and rockers. There was so much media hype about it that the public were given the impression that it wasn’t possible to stick your head out of your front door without having it cut off in a fight between youths.

One of the ways that knife crime is getting worse is that the victims appear to be getting younger, but this is because younger members of gangs are becoming more aggressive in general. In interviewing gang members, a researcher was surprised to find that many of the older gang members (of the grand old age of 15 and 16) were actually worried about the increasing habits of the youngest members of the gangs (around 7 to 9 ) to use weapons more. The younger members had taken to carrying weapons more often to “protect themselves” from other gangs who were carrying weapons too, but the younger members seemed more willing to use those weapons than the “older” members were.

As anyone that has seen the difference between a strop of a 7 year old and the strop of a 15 year old will know, that although the 15 year old may be prone to more violence, they are also more controlled in their temper than the 7 year old is. As such, if both children are armed with knifes, it is easy to see how come the 7 year old is more likely to use the knife than the 15 year old is, because of their lack of control. So it follows that if younger kids are starting to carry weapons, they are more likely to use them than before.

Knife crime was around in the 50s and 60s during the aforementioned fights between the mods and rockers, and I know from experience that knives were fairly common the 90s (I have enough scars on my to vouch for that).

I do have to admit that it is a bit scary how out of control younger kids have become in recent years. They have become much more confident that they can get away with whatever they do to others (in respect of being prosecuted for their actions, they know that they can more or less get away with anything), whole at the same time knowing that they are fairly safe from adults and older children retaliating towards them, because if the older person reacts then they are instantly prosecuted for assaulted a minor. So they feel practically untouchable, both legally, socially and physically.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.salohcin.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is knife crime getting worse?   

Back to top Go down

Is knife crime getting worse?
Page 1 of 1