Identity Cards

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wolf
Admin

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Identity Cards   Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:25 am

What do you think of the possibility of everyone being made to carry identity cards? Should we be made to pay for them if they are compulsory? Would they really help to fight crime and make life easier? Or would they be another intrusion into our privacy?

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Identity Cards   Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:59 am

I have always been in favour of identity cards, I think they could be extremely useful in a number of ways. Many other countries in the world use a form of ID card system and although that is not necessarily an automatic recommendation it has been shown to work well before.

If we are to bring in identity cards, then I think that the public should not be made to pay for them, simply for the reason that they are compulsory. If it is compulsory to have something, then you should not also be forced to pay for it too.

I should point out that my idea for using identity cards is in part of a larger change to the way that we do things in the UK. I would like to see the introduction of a nationally owned bank (a literal bank of Britain), in which every person in the UK automatically has their own account, linked to their national insurance number. Every employer in the country must pay their employees directly into this account in the Bank of Britain (people can then transfer the money out of there and then into their own private bank accounts, but they must always initially go through this account first). This usage of the national bank, with each person having their individual account in it, can be used to help prevent fraud cases, money laundering and other forms of crime. If every employer can only pay their employees directly into their account linked to their national insurance number (and their identity card), then anyone gaining money illegally is easily tracked down and stopped.

How I would like to see identity cards used is to include into them a form of debit card for cash. It would be linked directly to your Bank of Britain account and can be used everywhere in place of using cash directly. They may also have the details of any private bank account details included into it too, so that it may also been used as a credit card in the normal way too.

These cards not only can be used for identity verification, spending money, but can also carry your NHS records on it too, so that in the event of an accident the hospital can simply scan the card and be given access to your medical records quickly, so saving many lives every year.

The arguments against identity cards include “what happens if I lose my card?” well that would simply work the same as if you had lost the cards that you have now, your credit cards or your house keys, you simply order a new one and can obtain a temporary one to cover you in the meantime.

Another argument against them is that they may be fraudulently copied, but once again, this risk is already with us. There are already many cases of identity theft, credit card fraud, etc, so there wouldn’t really be any more risk, and maybe less risk due to better procedures against them.

The simple fact is that most of the proposed bad things about identity cards are already around (companies using data to track the way we move, shop and spend, possible fraud, the invasion of privacy, etc) all already exist. If anything, by bringing them together into the identity card, we are more likely to be able to counteract these problems and make things better for everyone. We are always going to have problems, whether using identity cards or the present systems, but we can at least try to make things better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.salohcin.co.uk
liverpoolvv

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Identity Cards   Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:52 pm

I wouldn't mind having to carry one of these cards whatsoever. I would however draw the line at paying for it. If they are going to make it a law, they should provide it free just like they provide National Insurance cards/numbers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Identity Cards   

Back to top Go down

Identity Cards
Page 1 of 1