Unethical compaines

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wolf
Admin

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Unethical compaines   Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:01 am

Do you consider some companies to be making money by unethical means (exploiting workers or the environment, or supporting political groups that you'd rather not be bum with)? Or do you think that anything is fair in the pursuit of a profit? Should there be rules about what you can and can't do to make money? Or should every company be free to do whatever it likes to make money? Should laws be passed to restrict trading in certain areas or products? Can companies be trusted to abide by "voluntary codes of conduct"?

Last edited by Wolf on Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.salohcin.co.uk
Nick

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Unethical compaines   Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:51 pm

A "Voluntary Code Of Conduct" is always a joke in any industry. It's something they wave around to show the media that they are good guys really, while completely ignoring everything in it. Any company silly enough to actually abide by any voluntary code of conduct will be ripped apart by the competition within days.

All most all companies, by definition, are unethical in some way. The business world is all about "getting one over" on someone, either the customer, the supplier or the employees (or preferably all of them at once). When I was running my businesses, I did my very best to treat everyone fairly, but there would still always be someone that lost out, no matter what we did. Business is, in itself, competitive, and therefore there is always a winner and a loser (if you win a contract then there is always at least one other party that has lost it and so is out of pocket). A customer will always refer a cheaper price, a supplier a dearer price, the employees higher wages, no matter what you do.

However, saying that, there are many companies that go farther than others in acting badly in order to make a little bit more profit.
Coke in India
Working for Disney
Citigroup
Macdonalds
Nike

The above are a few articles detailing some of the things that certain large companies get up to in the search for better profits.

There is a further list detailing naughty companies here, so you can have a look for yourself at what some other companies have been up to.

I do think that one of most unethical areas for any company to enter into is the production and sale of prescription drugs. If these drugs are designed to save lives or make lives better, then surely it is immoral to make the kind of profits that they do out of it, charging exorbitantly high prices and leaving millions of people to die because they can't afford them. They argue that they are ethical in what they do because they provide these life-saving drugs for millions throughout the world, and that any profits they make are used to research new drugs, for the benefit of mankind. But my response to that is that if they are really only interested in producing the drugs for the benefit of mankind, then they should be selling the drugs at cost price and not making profits from them (especially when people in poorer areas are dying from not being able to afford the drugs) and any profit that they do make should not be distributed to share-holders.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.salohcin.co.uk

Unethical compaines
Page 1 of 1